The Community Alliance Party recognises the unique place the ACT’s Indigenous people occupy in our collective history. The Alliance believes in equality of opportunity for the ACT’s Indigenous people.
The Indigenous community of the ACT is very small, about one per cent of the total population. Relative to the general ACT population, Canberra’s Indigenous people are disadvantaged. From educational attainment to employment prospects and from life expectancy to criminal activity, this situation has shown little improvement over recent years. It has even deteriorated in some respects.
The Alliance will work with the ACT Indigenous community, the broader ACT community, business, and government and non-government agencies to address the underlying causes of Indigenous disadvantage.
- The Alliance supports positive interaction between the Indigenous and other communities in the ACT.
- The Alliance is opposed to acts of tokenism and sham consultation with the ACT Indigenous community.
- The Alliance is totally opposed to all forms of prejudice and discrimination against the Indigenous community and will promote public education programs to foster a genuine appreciation of Indigenous cultures.
- The Alliance supports measures that encourage positive child development, including the provision of academic support for Indigenous students to improve educational outcomes.
- The Alliance supports the equitable provision of social services to Indigenous families.
- The Alliance supports measures to improve the economic wellbeing of the Indigenous community, including encouraging governments and businesses to increase job opportunities for Indigenous residents of the ACT.
- The Alliance supports initiatives that help to prevent violence, crime and self-harm in the ACT Indigenous community.
- The Alliance supports greater use of diversionary programs and restorative justice to reduce criminal behaviour, including within the Indigenous community.
- The Alliance supports an increase in the number of Indigenous liaison officers within the ACT legal system.
- The Alliance supports improved investigation and protection of Aboriginal heritage in the ACT.
Law and order